Today I am sharing my self tanning routine. I get asked a lot how I self tan and what my favorite products are so I wanted to write it all out and link my favorites. Most of the time I am using my Tarte Brazilliance self tanning gel with the mitt that it comes with, I LOVE this stuff so much! It’s awesome. I also like the Tarte tanning face towlettes. Another one of my favorites is the Jergens Instant Sun Mousse, I use this with a mitt too. The Kate Sommerville tanning towlettes are also awesome but they are kind of expensive so I don’t use those as often. If I want a quick tan that is just meant to last for the day, the Benefit Hoola Zero Tan Lines is great!! I like to self tan 2-3 times a week but sometimes things get crazy and I go a week or two without doing it. It really is so easy and quick though, it only takes 5 minutes for me to do my whole body!
HOW I SELF TAN:
- I always start by exfoliating my body in the shower before I do any self tanning. You don’t want any dead/dry skin making your tan streaky or uneven.
- I don’t know if this is the right thing to do but I always put on lotion before I self tan. Maybe you are supposed to put it on after but I do it before and haven’t had any issues. I give it a few minutes to dry so that when I do put on the self tanner, it doesn’t get all swirled around with the lotion.
- Apply your self tanning product in front of a mirror (and use a mitt)! I never really even paid attention to the fact that I was using my mirror to make sure I didn’t miss any spots until I took these pictures of me applying self tanner outside and realized it is a lot harder when you cant see what you are doing! I never ever EVER use my hands to apply self tanner. Ever. I ALWAYS use a mitt and it ends up looking a lot more natural and you don’t get stained hands. One of my friends was using rubber gloves to apply self tanner the other day and personally I don’t think that would work as well as a mitt but you can try out either method, but I would 100% say to not just use your hands! Also I only have a swimsuit on since we were taking photos, but normally I don’t have anything on since I don’t want any lines or streaks.
- Let it dry for at least 10-15 minutes before you put on any clothes. Sometimes if i’m in a rush I will get dressed before that and I always feel sticky and like the self tanner is transferring to my clothes. If you let it dry completely you shouldn’t have any issues like that!
- For hands/feet/face it can be a little bit hard to make sure things look even and not too orange. I don’t have any amazing tips for this so if any of you do, feel free to leave them in the comments down below! I usually just really try to make sure that everything is all blended out and looks natural, the mitt helps with this a lot when it comes to your hands. I don’t know about you guys but I feel like the #1 thing that gives away a fake tan is orange hands/feet! I definitely don’t feel like the Tarte self tanning gel is orange at all but if you don’t blend it out enough on your fingers/knuckles it’s going to look a little weird. I also don’t like to use the gel on my face, I love the Jergens tanning face lotion or the Tarte face tanning wipes like I mentioned earlier. These products are made specifically for your face so they are going to be better for your skin!
And that’s it! I hope this was helpful to some of you guys. :) I have been messing around with self tanning for years and always had really really bad experiences before I tried out these products! I used to use the St. Tropez self tanning mousse a few years ago and I think I just didn’t know what I was doing/it’s a little dark for me and I have some serious regrets hahaha!! I remember I did a big meetup with my friends in Chicago a few years ago and I used the St .Tropez tanner and looked SO RIDICULOUS because I was soooo bad at applying it!!! I still have the St. Tropez self tanning mousse and I actually like it now and use it sometimes and it ends up looking fine so I don’t know what I was doing wrong back then but seriously I remember it looking so bad! It’s actually really embarrassing to think about… Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Let me know if you have any other favorite tanning products!