Today I am sharing my self tanning routine. I get asked a lot how I self tan and what my favorite products are so I wanted to write it all out and link my favorites. Most of the time I am using my Tarte Brazilliance self tanning gel with the mitt that it comes with, I LOVE this stuff so much! It’s awesome. I also like the Tarte tanning face towlettes. Another one of my favorites is the Jergens Instant Sun Mousse, I use this with a mitt too. The Kate Sommerville tanning towlettes are also awesome but they are kind of expensive so I don’t use those as often. If I want a quick tan that is just meant to last for the day, the Benefit Hoola Zero Tan Lines is great!! I like to self tan 2-3 times a week but sometimes things get crazy and I go a week or two without doing it. It really is so easy and quick though, it only takes 5 minutes for me to do my whole body!
HOW I SELF TAN:
- I always start by exfoliating my body in the shower before I do any self tanning. You don’t want any dead/dry skin making your tan streaky or uneven.
- I don’t know if this is the right thing to do but I always put on lotion before I self tan. Maybe you are supposed to put it on after but I do it before and haven’t had any issues. I give it a few minutes to dry so that when I do put on the self tanner, it doesn’t get all swirled around with the lotion.
- Apply your self tanning product in front of a mirror (and use a mitt)! I never really even paid attention to the fact that I was using my mirror to make sure I didn’t miss any spots until I took these pictures of me applying self tanner outside and realized it is a lot harder when you cant see what you are doing! I never ever EVER use my hands to apply self tanner. Ever. I ALWAYS use a mitt and it ends up looking a lot more natural and you don’t get stained hands. One of my friends was using rubber gloves to apply self tanner the other day and personally I don’t think that would work as well as a mitt but you can try out either method, but I would 100% say to not just use your hands! Also I only have a swimsuit on since we were taking photos, but normally I don’t have anything on since I don’t want any lines or streaks.
- Let it dry for at least 10-15 minutes before you put on any clothes. Sometimes if i’m in a rush I will get dressed before that and I always feel sticky and like the self tanner is transferring to my clothes. If you let it dry completely you shouldn’t have any issues like that!
- For hands/feet/face it can be a little bit hard to make sure things look even and not too orange. I don’t have any amazing tips for this so if any of you do, feel free to leave them in the comments down below! I usually just really try to make sure that everything is all blended out and looks natural, the mitt helps with this a lot when it comes to your hands. I don’t know about you guys but I feel like the #1 thing that gives away a fake tan is orange hands/feet! I definitely don’t feel like the Tarte self tanning gel is orange at all but if you don’t blend it out enough on your fingers/knuckles it’s going to look a little weird. I also don’t like to use the gel on my face, I love the Jergens tanning face lotion or the Tarte face tanning wipes like I mentioned earlier. These products are made specifically for your face so they are going to be better for your skin!
And that’s it! I hope this was helpful to some of you guys. :) I have been messing around with self tanning for years and always had really really bad experiences before I tried out these products! I used to use the St. Tropez self tanning mousse a few years ago and I think I just didn’t know what I was doing/it’s a little dark for me and I have some serious regrets hahaha!! I remember I did a big meetup with my friends in Chicago a few years ago and I used the St .Tropez tanner and looked SO RIDICULOUS because I was soooo bad at applying it!!! I still have the St. Tropez self tanning mousse and I actually like it now and use it sometimes and it ends up looking fine so I don’t know what I was doing wrong back then but seriously I remember it looking so bad! It’s actually really embarrassing to think about… Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Let me know if you have any other favorite tanning products!
2016 is over! This year has been amazing in so many ways. We traveled the world and have no plans to slow down on that! We already have 5 trips planned for 2017! I wanted to share my top 10 memories from 2016 and also 10 of my New Years resolutions! This has been such a special year and I am so excited to see what 2017 brings. I did a similar post to this last year so I will link that here if you want to read that too! I just went back and read it and it’s SO WEIRD how it seems like that was so so so long ago!
- Visiting San Francisco! We went for the first time in January and I loved it so much. It was so fun to have 3 days to explore the city and get to make our own itinerary for the trip!
- Visiting Iceland!! I am going to try not to just put “visiting _____” for every memory haha… but it’s hard not to with all the amazing places we have visited! One of my favorite memories from Iceland was when I left our swimsuits on the bus and thought that I could run/walk the 1.5 miles to the bus station… I seriously made it probably 2 blocks before I couldn’t run anymore!!! Haha! I have never been a runner but wow that was just a bad idea. I called an Uber and we got a ride to the bus station so that’s how that ended.
- Riding bikes in Copenhagen! I was barely too short to comfortably ride the bike and the back of my coat kept getting caught on the seat when I tried to get off so I fell over like 6 times. We were so exhausted in Copenhagen from the jetlag and we had just been in Iceland, London, and Paris so we spent our time here just riding around the city and exploring!
- Getting to try every single food that By Chloe has ever sold. I love trying out different vegan foods and I had heard of By Chloe and wanted to eat there SO bad and when Tarte invited us to NYC for a concert, they also had us come visit their offices and they had a giant table of By Chloe food! I was in heaven!!!
- My family trip to Newport! I went on a million trips this year but my favorite trip is always going to Newport Beach with my family and spending a week at a beach house. It’s so relaxing and special to me!
- Surprising my mom with a trip to the Bahamas! My mom moved up to northern Utah in August so in July I brought her with me to Tampa for a meetup I had with Benefit Cosmetics and then I told her that we were heading to Miami after to tour the new Benefit Offices but we actually were headed to the Bahamas! I am so so so happy I got to take my mom on this special trip and spend quality time with her. I was crying happy tears before I even said what the surprise was! I vlogged it so I will link that here, also my mom got my camera when I wasn’t around and recorded a little message for me (also in the vlog) and it is something I cherish so much!
- Going back to Bora Bora! We visited Bora Bora for our honeymoon and it was one of my favorite places. I am so grateful we got to go back with Tarte Cosmetics! This was our first trip with Tarte and we had so much fun with everyone. If you ever get a chance to stay at the Four Seasons in Bora Bora, you HAVE to do the jet ski tour! It’s probably my favorite thing I have done in my entire life and I have had the chance to do it twice now. It’s one of the most special things in the world.
- Celebrating my ONE YEAR WEDDING ANNIVERSARY in India! Parker and I flew from Bora Bora to India and had a free day before our trip “officially started” and that day happened to be our anniversary. We actually were so exhausted and jet lagged that we just spent the whole day laying in bed so we are planning to actually take a day to celebrate at home once we get back from our next trips but I still can’t believe it’s been a whole year.
- Spending our last Easter in my childhood home. The time I am the happiest is when I am with my family. Since my mom and siblings moved up north, Easter was the last holiday we spent in that house. I lived there for 10 years and have so many great memories there. It was sad to have my family move out but change is what helps us grow!
- Meeting new friends! One of my favorite parts of traveling is getting to meet people from around the world. I remember sitting at dinner in India and thinking how crazy it was that every single person I was sitting with was from a different country. I am not a very social person and i’m very shy but this year I have grown to appreciate meeting new people so much. I love listening to people’s stories about where they are from and how they grew up. It’s one of the things that makes traveling the most special to me.
- Bonus memory cause I just realized I didn’t even mention opening my online clothing store! We launched in August and then relaunched with a new name in November and I just barely redesigned the site and published that today! Luca + Grae is still a work in progress and I have learned SO much already in the 4 short months since we launched but I am excited to see what 2017 brings!
- Start going to the gym again!!!!! How cliche I know. I used to go 4-5 times a week but with traveling so much I got lazy and haven’t been in months. I love working out so I just need to get in the habit of doing it again.
- Write in my journal! This was probably one of my resolutions last year, and the year before… and the year before… but I NEED TO ACTUALLY DO IT THIS YEAR! I love going back and reading my old journal entries and every time I read them I ALWAYS wish I had written more frequently.
- Take more photos! I actually surprisingly don’t take a lot of photos at all. Especially on holidays and things like that more often than not I realize I didn’t take a single picture, and I don’t mean an “instagram worthy” one but just any pictures at all!
- I also want to be more organized. I don’t know why I thought that when I moved into my own house that I would immediately change my messy ways and become a neat freak but it did not happen. I usually blame my messiness on traveling so much and being out of town 80% of my life which I DO think is a valid excuse haha but I really need to get it together! Parker is really clean so I know I drive him crazy. I finally ordered some furniture for our bedroom so I will actually have places to store things now so hopefully that will help… maybe…
- Blog more! I love blogging so much and really really reeeeeeally want to be posting at least once a week if not 2 or 3 times on my blog. I love YouTube and plan to continue doing that but I’ve done it for 6 years now and am ready to put a little more focus on blogging!
- Live in the moment more. I try so so so hard to live in the moment and not dwell on the past or rush into the future. I can name so many times in my life that I just wanted to skip and be onto the next thing but now looking back I wish I had just enjoyed where I was at in life and not tried to rush into the next phase.
- This is actually not a resolution because I feel like I have already fulfilled this goal but it’s to eat healthy! This is always one of my resolutions but this year I have focused so much on trying to transition into eating as many plant based foods as possible. I get a lot of people asking if I am vegan and i’m not but I do eat vegan/plant based as often as I can because my body just feels so good when I do! I’m sure I could eat even healthier but overall i’m pretty happy with the way I have been eating this year and that feels good to say!
- Work less! I am a workaholic. I love to work and I love to be busy. Working from home is something I am so grateful I get to do but it can be really hard to set boundaries for yourself and separate work life from home life. I really want to have set work hours and more of a schedule but with traveling so much that will be a hard goal but I am very determined to establish that separation a little (a lot) more.
- Be more happy with my work. Sometimes I feel like I work SO hard and am still not happy with the content I am producing (not a good feeling). I hate limiting myself to one thing/style/whatever else so a lot of the time I feel like my platforms just look messy and inconsistent. I want to really focus on making sure that I am happy with my work since I put so much time and effort into everything.
- Stress less! I stress out about everything. 24 hours a day. 7 days a week. I want to make sure I am taking time to enjoy life and enjoy the little moments.
WHERE WE TRAVELED:
- Cabo with Pur Cosmetics in January 2016.
- San Francisco with friends in January 2016
- Hawaii with Benefit Cosmetics in February 2016
- London with Pixi Cosmetics in March 2016
- Paris on our own in March 2016
- Iceland on our own in April 2016
- Denmark on our own in April 2016
- Palm Springs for Coachella in April 2016
- London with Royal Caribbean in May 2016
- Costa Rica with Style Haul in June 2016
- NYC with Tarte Cosmetics in June 2016
- Newport Beach with my family July 2016
- Bahamas with my mom July 2016
- Turks and Caicos with friends in August 2016
- Bora Bora with Tarte in October 2016
- India with Beautiful Destinations in October 2016
- Kauai with family in November 2016
WOW 17 trips! Not including random work trips to LA, Playlist, Vidcon, & visiting my family in Salt Lake. WOW haha!! What an amazing year. I’m already planning trips to the Maldives, Oahu, Florida, the Philippines, London, and Greece all before April! Crazy!
That’s all for today’s post! I changed up a few things on the blog so let me know what you think! I try to imagine that I am a reader and see if I think that the site is functional and easy to use/navigate but I want to know what you guys think! If there is anything else you think I should add to make my blog better, comment below! Also if you have any requests for posts you want to see, leave that in a comment too! I’m used to making YouTube videos where each week it has to be this big thing so I forget that with blogging it’s okay to simplify and not have it be a huge project for the week. I’m really excited for 2017 and to see where life takes me this year! I hope you guys have/had a fun and safe New Year!